Broccoli salad with a difference!! Smoked and cooked on the barbecue and its no sweat to cook in the summer heat this way! Simple and delicious, this dish is sure to impress your tastebuds! The smoky flavour of the broccoli pairs perfectly with the tanginess of the caesar dressing. A tangy dressing made with Dijon mustard, olive oil, garlic, capers, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Broccoli has always been a favourite in my house and it is very rare to not have it in my house. I love this new way to eat it!
If your barbecue does not have a smoker option, it is just as delicious, grilled in a pan with the bacon and onion. The flavours are devine!!
HOW TO MAKE THIS BROCCOLI SALAD
- Wash and roughly chop the broccoli florets into quarters, depending upon their size. If they are too small they will overcook, and if too large you will have to cut them up on your plate.
- Dice and fry the bacon. Cut the onion in half and then into thin slices.
- Toast the seasoned breadcrumbs in a frying pan until crisp. Watch that they do not burn!
- To a medium sized roasting pan, evenly spread out the broccoli at one end. They will cover 3/4 of the tray
- To the other 1/4 of the pan, spread an even layer of onion and put the bacon pieces over the top of the onion.
- Drizzle olive oil over the broccoli and season it with salt and pepper
- Bake the broccoli, onion and bacon until browned and cooked through. Try not to overcook the broccoli, but either way the flavour is amazing.
- Prepare the dressing while the broccoli mix is cooking.
- Add the egg, mustard, parmesan cheese, capers, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce to a bowl and mix with a beater or immersion blender, adding the oil last.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and top with parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Medium roasting pan
- immersion blender
- 8 heaping cups of chopped broccoli
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 medium red onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 or 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 tsp capers
- 6 small anchovy fillets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium lemon juiced
- 1/16 tsp Worcestershire Sauce gluten free
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Prepare Broccoli, onion and bacon
- Preheat the barbeque to 400ºF.
- Place broccoli florets at one end of a medium sized roasting pan. Spread out the broccoli to evenly bake. It will cover about 3/4 of the pan.
- Add the onion at the other end of the pan and spread the bacon on top of the onion slices.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top of the broccoli and season it with salt and pepper. You will only need to season the broccoli.
- Smoke and/or grill the broccoli, bacon and onion for about 20 to 25 minutes, tossing all the ingredients halfway through.
- Place a small frying pan on medium to high heat, add olive oil and then add breadcrumbs and seasoning.
- Toast the breadcrumbs while occasionallyfstirrring, or 8 to 10 minutes or until desired crunchiness is reached.
Make the dressing
- While the broccoli cooks, and the breadcrumbs are toasting, prepare the dressing. Remember to watch that the breadcrumbs do not burn.
- To a small bowl or blender, add the egg, mustard, parmesan cheese, capers, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until just combined, then slowly pour in the olive oil while running the blender. Mix until the dressing is thick and creamy.
- Transfer the cooked broccoli mixture to medium sized bowl. Add half of the parmesan cheese and toasted sourdough breadcrumbs to the salad and pour the Caesar dressing over the top. Gently toss the salad to combine the dressing and serve with the remaining breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on top.