Gluten free cherry cake cooked on a barbecue! It may sound unconventional, but this unexpected twist is sure to delight the taste buds! Plus, there’s no need for the oven to heat up the house in the heat of summer!
Once the batter is mixed and ready to go, pour it into a cast iron pan, place it onto the grill, ensuring that the cake is not over an open flame. You may need to use the outer burners, with no flame underneath the cake. Close the lid of the barbecue and let the magic happen. As the cake bakes the heat will create a delicious caramelized crust, while keeping the inside soft and studded with juicy, plump cherries.
When the cake is cooked, just remove it from the barbecue and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. The combination of grilled cake and sweet cherries will likely become your new go to dessert for your next summer gathering! Give it a try and top it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
TIPS TO MAKE THIS CHERRY CAKE
- the easiest way to pit the cherry’s is to use a cherry pitter, otherwise use a sharp knife. There are single cherry pitters like the one shown in the picture, or check out the ones that pit many cherry’s in quick succession
- Use the freshest Cherrys for the best flavour!
- Make sure to gel the psyllium husk otherwise your cake will be too runny.
- Mix the ingredients to incorporate all the flour and aerate the eggs, but don’t overmix the batter.
- Mix about half of the cherries into the batter and save some to place on top.
- Not all barbecues can keep a consistent temperature for baking, in which case, just use your oven.
- Make sure the cake is not directly over an open flame because it will burn.
THE FLOURS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS GLUTEN FREE CHERRY CAKE
In all of my recipes I measure most of the ingredients in grams. It is way more accurate and you will therefore need a kitchen scale to make this recipe. Here’s the link to the scale that I use. There are many others available that are just as good and for a cheaper price. I have used my own gluten free flour blend in this recipe.
The three gluten free flours used in this recipe are almond flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca starch.
Gluten Free Cherry Cake
- 275 g cherries pitted and halved about 40 medium cherries
- 40 g almond flour
- 80 g sorghum flour
- 40 g tapioca starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 50 g milk room temperature
- 100 g yoghurt room temperature
- 8 g whole psyllium husk
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 100 g sugar
- 60 g olive oil
- Wet some parchment paper, crinkle it up and them mould it into a 10 (25cm) inch cast iron pan.
- Preheat the barbecue to 350°F (177°C) with a pizza stone on the rack to block iany flames. Alternatively use your kitchen oven and there is no need for a pizza stone.
- In a medium bowl sift the almond flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl add the milk and yoghurt and whisk in the psyllium husk. Leave the psyllium to gel for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for about a minute, then slowly pour in the olive all while still beating. Beat for about 1 minute or until this mixture is bubbly looking.
- Add half of the flour to the egg mixture and beat it until just combined. Beat in the psyllium gel mixture, fold in the remaining flour mix and half of the cherries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Press the remaining cherries cut side down into the batter and lightly push them in.
- Bake the cake for 35- 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for at least 10 minutes before slicing and enjoying with a dollop of ice cream. This cake is best eaten while still warm or keep it covered and wet within two days.