A modified family recipe.
This beet leaves and rice dish is so easy and delicious and it makes an amazing side dish for any meal. It’s one of those things you eat for lunch on its own the next day, because you can’t get enough of the flavours.
Beet Leaves & Rice Dish
A modified family recipe
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic scapes or 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt and some pepper
- 2 cups fresh beet leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 2 cups half and half cream or full cream
- Soak rice and chop up bacon, onion, garlic scapes, beet leaves and dill.
- Rinse and drain rice, then cook in 1 cup of water for 10 minutes or a little less. Fry bacon, garlic and onion in a pan and add this mixture to the cooked rice, along with the dill. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Layer rice in the bottom of a dish. Then on top add a layer of the chopped beet leaves and another layer of rice on top. Pour cream over all and cover with a lid.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour.
- During the last 20 minutes, remove the lid and you may need to add a little more cream, if the dish is looking too dry.
This looks amazing! Definitely going to try it! Would you believe I used to throw out beet leaves?? Yikes!
Thanks for this recipe 🙂
1 Comment on Beet Leaves and Rice Dish