A shortbread crust and a caramel icing when you are craving a sweet fix. They are quick and easy to prepare and only 15 minutes or less to bake.
These squares take me back to school lunch- box days. My Mum always made home baked everything and there was usually something yummy to snack on after school. I always loved these!
- 115 g butter
- 200 g gluten free flour blend or a little less (this was Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g sugar
- 2 tbsp condensed milk I used Eagles brand
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 57 g butter
- 1 tsp condensed milk
- 113 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- Melt butter, sugar and condensed milk
- Add flour, baking powder and walnuts. The amount of flour varies slightly depending upon the type of gluten free flour you use.
- Press into a flat pan and bake 10-15 minutes at 350°F
- While still hot pour icing over cooked base. Cool and cut into squares
- Boil all icing ingredients for a couple minutes