This is an amazing recipe that was passed along from a close friend about 15 years ago. It not only tastes so good with the spiciness and the sweetness of the pineapple. It’s also so quick to make … about 30 minutes.
It can be hard to find gluten free curries but Thai Kitchen is gluten free, vegan and very good so this is what we use.
Thai Chicken Pineapple Bowl
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp (or more) Thai red curry paste depending on hotness
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 2-3 chicken breasts sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp pineapple juice from can
- 1 can sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 small chilli pepper
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 large broccoli heads
- 1 small can pineapple chunks drained (save juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Don’t shake the can of coconut before using, to keep the thick layer on top from mixing together. Mix the thick coconut cream with the curry paste and use the liquid layer underneath for cooking the rice. Add any leftover liquid to the pan toward the end of cooking.
- Drain the pineapple and save the juice.
- Rinse and drain basmati rice. In a pot add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup coconut milk, salt and pepper. Stir in rice,cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, then rest with lid on for 10 minutes
While rice is cooking
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in the wok or pan and add chicken and sliced onion
- Whisk curry paste and remainder of coconut milk in a bowl. Remove chicken and onion from pan and add red curry paste and coconut milk. Mix well.
- Add sliced vegetables and cook about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in pineapple to warm. Serve over rice.