Sweet, crispy and slightly chewy Vanilla Crisps are an old family favourite … going back to my childhood. These have been modified from my Mum’s original recipe to make them gluten free.
Mix these vanilla cookies up at any time for a quick, sweet snack that is ready in a speedy, half hour. No thinking ahead needed with the recipe, because the first few ingredients go straight from the fridge and into a pot, while you prepare the rest. They are mixed, shaped and baked in record time!
The bulk of the flour is from gluten free oats and is my own blend. I have not made these with any other flours, so I cannot say how they would turn out. If you do not have the cream of tarter you can substitute with baking powder.
- 55 mls milk
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 100 g butter
- 45 g brown rice flour
- 35 g potato starch
- 90 g oat flour
- 50 g sorghum flour
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp whole psyllium husk
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and sugar on medium heat, while continually stirring with a wooden spoon to keep the sugar from burning on the bottom of the pan.
- When the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat down to low and add in the baking soda. Gently boil this mixture for about 1 minute, constantly stirring and watching that it does not bubble and foam over the top of the pan. It will burn easily so keep stirring and you will know it is ready when turns a light golden colour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the butter until it has melted. Whisk in the psyllium husk, vigorously mixing to prevent lumps forming. Leave the pot to cool to lukwarm temperature for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Sift the flours, cream of tartar and salt, stirring them into the liquid in about three portions. Lastly stir in the vanilla and combine well
- Use a (tsp size) cookie scoop to form balls and place the cookies 3 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten the tops with a fork. They will spread out quite a lot in the oven.
- Bake the cookies for 7-10 minutes (depending upon size) or until the edges have a faint golden colour.
- Cool the cookies on a baking sheet for 5 minutes, then gently remove them with an egg flipper and place on a cake rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.