Homemade soups are one of my favourite meals and this one has been enjoyed in our house for years. It’s a recipe that came with my husband and they have both stayed!!
Since being diagnosed with celiac disease this soup has not been as good, because the bread would just dissolve into mush. Until … the discovery of homemade gluten free sourdough. Amazing stuff and I can really enjoy this soup once again.
Makes 4 servings
Doug’s French Onion Soup
- 45 g Butter (3 tbsp) or use 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large peeled and sliced onions
- 8 cups water
- 4 or 5 Bouillon cubes McCormicks is GF
- 1 tsp gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- In a pan melt the butter and add in the onions, cooking on medium to low heat. Cook for about 10 – 12 minutes until they transparent and lightly browned.
- In a medium saucepan combine beef bouillion cubes, sautéed onion, tamari sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Toast Some GF sourdough bread until crispy.
- Pour French onion soup into oven proof soup bowls and float the toast on top of the soup
- Sprinkle lots of cheese on top of the toast
- Broil in the oven until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned.