These short bread cookies have that light crispy … amazing flavour that I remember from BEFORE being diagnosed with celiac disease. They only have four ingredients and are so quick and easy to make.
There are gluten free powdered sugars with the GF label. Make sure you find one of those or you can grind sugar in a blender to make it into a fine powder. I recently used some Rogers icing sugar and was horribly ill, even though the website says gluten-free but there was no GF label on the package.
I broke one of my own rules… which is to only buy products with a gluten-free claim on the packaging because of the issue of cross-contamination.
Recipe was passed on from a friend so I am not sure of the origin.
- 1/2 cup cornstarch 65 g
- 1/2 cup icing sugar 65 g
- 1 cup sweet rice flour 130 g
- 3/4 cup butter 170 g
- Warm butter enough that you can beat it in a bowl
- Sift corn starch, sugar, rice flour, adding to butter in small portions and gently mixing together.
- Use your hands to form a soft dough ball.
- Refrigerate for one hour
- Shape into 1 inch balls
- Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet about 1 inch apart
- Press with a fork
- Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes
- Completely cool before removing from tray as they will crumble. But when cool they set nicely