These Gluten Free Pastry Stars are filled with a jalapeño spiced cream cheese and apricot jam. They are extremely tasty! When making pastry, it is so easy to mix up the dough the day before baking, leave it to chill and then roll it out and bake the following day. Such a fun and delicious treat to add to your Christmas appetizer tray or for any time of the year. They are just as delicious with many types of jam or for a more savoury cheese filling.
HOW TO MAKE THESE STARS
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the cream cheese, jam, and grated cheese in a bowl. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
- Use a star cookie cutter to cut out stars in the pastry dough.
- Mix up the cream cheese, and do make more than the listed amount if needed. Just double the ingredients!
- Place the jam and then the cream cheese mixture into the middle of each star.
- Seal the edges with a fork and brush the tops with an egg wash
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F and then at 350°F for about another 20-25 minutes or until the the pastry becomes golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
TIPS FOR MAKING GLUTEN FREE PASTRY STARS
- this pastry needs to be kept quite cold to create the flaky pastry and make sure to chill the dough often when handling it or when it is out of the fridge too long. Your hands will warm the butter in the dough quite quickly.
- use a large piece of parchment paper to roll out the dough and then use a square of parchment paper for each pastry star for baking. This just makes it easier to move the stars to and from a cookie sheet.
- don’t put too much filling in your stars or it will ooze out the edges and burn.
- an egg wash helps the pastry to brown nicely.
- enjoy the stars while they are warm.
- use leftovers for another day by wrapping the remaining dough up tightly and keeping it in the fridge for up to a week.
- 80 g sorghum flour
- 40 g corn starch
- 40 g tapioca starch
- 50 g oat flour
- 4 g flax seed
- 2 g whole psyllium
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 25 g grated cold butter
- 125 g cold water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 100 g cold cubed butter
- White rice flour for shaping
- 60 g soft cream cheese
- 1 tsp pickled jalapeño juice
- 1 tbsp diced, pickles jalapeños more or less for preferred hotness
- 60 g apricot jam or other flavoured jam
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cold water
- In a large bowl, mix sorghum, flour, corn starch, tapioca, starch, oat flour, grated butter, flaxseeds, psyllium, husk, baking powder, sugar, salt and grated butter.
- To the bowl of flour add the vinegar and cold water in a slow stream, while mixing with a mixer and a dough hook. The mixture will look like large breadcrumbs.
- Lightly mix in the cubed butter and shape the dough into a ball. Chill for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough until it is quite thin. About 1/4 inch thick or a little less.
- Use a large star cookie cutter to cut out the stars. Place the stars on a square of parchment paper and then onto the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl add the cream cheese, pour in the pickle juice and mash them together before stirring in the jalapeños.
- Place a small teaspoon of jam in the middle of each pastry star and then add a small teaspoon of cream cheese on top of the jam. Use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture out a little, but don't push it all the way to the edges. The amount of filling depends on how large or small your stars are.
- Whisk the egg yolk and water to completely combine them, and then brush the top of the stars with the egg wash.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for a further 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry looks golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes and enjoy while still warm.