Gluten free bagels made with sourdough and with an enticing twist – a delectable cream cheese filling baked right into the heart of each ring. Once baked the cream cheese interior transforms into a gooey, and delicious centre, which is amazing, when combined with the bagel’s golden exterior. The chewiness of the bagel and the silky, savoury cream cheese filling, are a gluten-free delight! The reviews from family and friends are … that they cannot believe these bagels are gluten free!!
To make gluten free bagels, start by combining the gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, and salt. This dough uses both baking powder and sourdough starter. Mix the wet ingredients separately, then combine and knead the dough. Form rectangles with the dough, add the cream cheese filling, seeds and bake until golden brown. There is no boiling the bagels in this recipe!
ABOUT THE FLOURS NEEDED TO MAKE THE BEST ENGLISH MUFFIN AND HOW TO MEASURE THEM!
In all of my recipes there are measurements in grams. It is way more accurate. Consequently, you need a kitchen scale to make this recipe. Here’s the link to the scale that I use, but there are cheaper ones as well. There are 4 types of gluten free flours in this recipe, and psyllium husk and ground flax seed are needed as the binders.
DO I NEED A GLUTEN FREE SOURDOUGH STARTER TO MAKE THESE GLUTEN FREE BAGELS?
Yes! You do need a sourdough starter to make this recipe. The use of a gluten free starter, provides exceptional binding properties, to mimic glutinous flour as much as possible. There are many amazing gluten free bread recipes for Sourdough. The recipe for my Gluten Free Sourdough Starter is HERE
1. COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS:
In a bowl, mix the homemade flour blend and the other dry ingredients.
2. ADD WET INGREDIENTS:
Incorporate the starter, water, Greek yogurt and add the psyllium husk to gel before adding it to the flour blend.
3. KNEAD DOUGH
Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until it reaches a smooth consistency.
4. DIVIDE AND SHAPE
Divide the dough into 6 portions. Roll the dough out into rectangles
5. PREPARE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
Spread a layer of cream cheese on the long side of each of each dough rectangle
6. SEAL GLUTEN FREE BAGELS
Fold the edges of the bagel over the cream cheese, roll it into a log and pinch and roll the seams, ensuring a secure seal. The cream cheese should be enclosed within the dough.
7. BAKE GLUTEN FREE BAGELS
Brush the tops of the bagels with butter and roll them in everything bagel seasoning before baking!
Note: These bagels are best eaten within 1 to 2 days and are best reheated in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes
Gluten Free Bagels
- 125 g gluten free sourdough starter active and at a peak
- 210 g warm water
- 100 g Greek Yoghurt, room temperature
- 12 g whole psyllium husk
- 5 g flax seed, finely ground
- 80 g millet flour
- 100 g sorghum flour
- 80 g tapioca starch
- 40 g almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- white rice flour for dusting
- melted butter for brushing on top before baking
Cream Cheese Filling
- 150 g cream cheese herbed flavour is the best
- 1 rasher bacon, cooked and finely diced
- 1 tbsp green onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp celery, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Everything but the bagel seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/204°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add the cream cheese filling ingredients to a medium bowl and thoroughly mix together.
- In a medium bowl add the starter, water, yoghurt and whisk in the psyllium husk and flax seed. Let the mixture gel for a couple of minutes
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the starter mixture in with the flour blend until well combined, and there is no loose flour.
- Lightly knead the dough with your hands, while still in the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a thickness of about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Cut the dough into about 6 (8 inch by 3 inch) rectangles
- Add about 2 teaspoons of cream cheese mixture to the long side of each piece of dough, and roll it with your hands into the shape of a log. Pinch the seams and smooth them out by gently rolling the log.
- Shape each log into a circle, join the ends and place each bagel on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top of each bagel with melted butter and gently press them in Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the oven, then reduce the heat to 350°F/180°C and cook for 10 minutes longer, or until the tops are golden brown and the dough is cooked through.