This is a favourite recipe that was often made at home, when we were kids. Modified to suit our gluten free diet.
Basic ingredients with the taste of cardamom, cinnamon and the chunks of pears, mixed with a heavy ginger hit. Yum!!
To make this vegan. Replace the egg with another tablespoon of chia seeds and use coconut milk.
Ginger Pear Cake
- 4 medium size pears
- 240 g gluten-free all purpose flour
- 30 g oat flour
- 10 g coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 7 g freshly grated ginger
- 75 g butter
- 100 g golden syrup
- 1 tbsp fancy molasses
- 1 tsp whole psyllium husk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 100 g milk
- 1 large egg
- 120 g icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp water
- Grease and line a 28 x 20 cm dish with parchment paper.
- Peel, core and slice the pears.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the golden syrup, molasses, butter, brown sugar, sliced pears, cardamom, and fresh ginger.
- Cook the pear mixture over low heat for about 5 mins, until the sugar is dissolved and the pears are soft. Leave it to cool for 20 minutes or until it is lukewarm. There will be a lot of liquid.
- Remove the pears from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and place them in the bottom of the parchment lined pan.
- Whisk the psyllium and chia seeds to gel in the warm pear liquid and leave it to sit for another few minutes to thicken and gel slightly
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk for about a minute and add it to the saucepan mixture.
- Add the baking soda to the warm pear mixture
- Into a large bowl add all the flour, baking powder, and ginger.
- Add the wet mixture into the bowl of flour and mix it enough that there is no loose flour
- Pour the cake batter on top of the pears. Arrange thin slices from an extra pear on top of the batter for decoration.
- Bake the cake at 350°F (180°F) for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is set.
- If using a glaze. Melt the butter with the ginger on low heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the icing sugar, water, and lemon juice. Pour the glaze on top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.