Childhood birthday memories. We always had a choice for a birthday meal the whole time I was growing up. For dessert I usually chose this lemon cheesecake for my Mum to make. It’s still one of my favourites to this day and the base was so easy to convert to gluten free along with the rest of it.
You can make this cheesecake in one large pan or eight small ones and it is not baked.
I have listed the brand names of some products that I have used in the recipe, because I know they are gluten-free and I never have any issues with them.
- 220 g kinnikinnick Graham style crackers crushed
- 125 g butter
- 500 g cream cheese Philadelphia
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300 ml sour cream Dutchman Dairy
- 1.5 packs gelatine (Knox 7g/pack)
- 55 ml water
- 2 egg whites
- Crush biscuits and add melted butter
- Press into a springform pan and refrigerate
- Beat cream cheese until soft and creamy
- Add sugar lemon rind and juice and beat until sugar is just melted. Sprinkle gelatine over cold water and stand for five minutes
- Place a bowl over simmering water until the gelatine is dissolved –Allow to cool slightly but don’t let it set hard as it will go lumpy
- Add the sour cream to the cream cheese mixture and beat until just combined. Add gelatine and beat until just combined. Beat egg whites until peaks form – gently fold in. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours to set.