Apple crumble bars that are gluten free and made with a scrumptious almond and date crust. Topped with apple pie filling and a crispy crumble. These bars are the perfect balance of sweetness and texture with that delicious, apple pie flavour.
The key component to this recipe is the apple filling. My favourite apples to eating bake with are Gala, Honey Crip or Ambrosia. Alternatively, use any apple that is sweet and juicy and great for baking. Apples with the addition of sugar, butter, cinnamon and oats create the best flavours.
Apple Crumble bars are delicious served warm with some vanilla ice cream or a square of it on its own just satisfy your cravings. They also make the best afternoon snack combined with a hot cup of tea, or even in your hand, rushing out the door.
STEPS TO MAKE THESE APPLE CRUMBLE BARS
1. Gather the Ingredients
In this recipe you will need a kitchen scale, which is quicker to use and more accurate. Here’s the link to the scale that I use. There are many others available that are just as good and for a cheaper price.
You will need certified gluten free oats for this recipe. I have not tried substituting the oats with anything else.
I buy my gluten almond flour and dates from Costco for the best price.
2. Make the Crust
First of all, you will need to mix up all the ingredients for the crust in a blender, press it into a pan and bake it for 10 minutes. While the crust is baking, this is a good time to mix together the apple pie filling and the oat crumble topping.
3. Make the Filling and the Topping
Combine the diced apples, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, and spice. Mix all of these ingredients together with a spoon, and make certain that all of the apples are evenly coated for the best baking outcome. Set them aside and make the topping.
Whisk together the rolled oats, oat flour, tapioca starch and the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Nest, cut in the chilled butter with two forks or your hands. the topping mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. Evenly spread the apples on top of the warm crust. Cover the apple layer with the topping and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Bake and Enjoy These Delicious Apple Crumble Bars
Heat the oven to 350 °F (177°C) and bake the apple crumble bars on the middle rack. The best way to eat these bars these bars is slightly warm after they have had ample time to set, or even cold from the fridge.
Apple Crumble Bars
- 8 x 8 baking pan
- 60 g dates pitted Terra Delyssa are gluten free
- 70 g rolled oats Only Oats are gluten free
- 50 g almond flour Kirkland is gluten free
- 10 g ground flaxseed
- 35 g coconut oil, melted
- 15 g golden syrup or honey
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 large gala apples peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon powder
- 50 g rolled oats certified gluten free
- 15 g oat flour
- 20 g tapioca starch
- 40 g brown sugar
- 20 g white sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 g butter, cold
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- To a blender add the dates, oats, almond flour, flax seed, coconut oil and golden syrup. Blitz the ingredients in a blender, until they resemble crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.
Make the Apple Pie Filling
- Combine the diced apples, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, and spice. Mix these ingredients with a spoon until all of the apples are evenly coated. Set them aside.
Make The Topping
- Whisk the rolled oats, oat flour, tapioca starch, brown sugar, white sugar cinnamon, butter and salt together in a medium bowl. Cut in the chilled butter with two forks or your hands, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Evenly spread the apples on top of the warm crust. Cover the apple layer with the topping and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the topping is a nice golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes and then chill it in the refrigerator for an hour, still in the pan. Lift the parchment paper to remove the bars from the pan and cut them into 12 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. These bars will get softer by the day but they can be reheated in the oven at 350°F (177°C) for 10 minutes. This gives them that newly baked crispiness.