This was so easy to make and I love the garlicky cheese sauce. It does make a good change from a tomato sauce and pairs well with the subtle tanginess of the sourdough crust.
The day before baking, mix up the ingredients and leave covered in the fridge for 24 hours. Remove the dough from the fridge 2-3 hours before baking.
Our garden has not frozen over yet, so we still have plenty of kale growing and it always tastes better in the cooler weather. I have been trying to come up with new ways to use all that kale. Along with the grated carrots, it does make a great addition to the pizza base adding a few more veggies for the daily intake.
*Substitute 100 g of starter with a package of yeast. Use 1/4 cup of warm water to dissolve the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Plus an extra 1/2 cup of gluten free flour*
Or use a bought pizza base.
For the Pizza base
100 g of sourdough starter
30 g sorghum flour
30 g potato starch
30 g oat flour
100 mls water
1 small carrot, grated
2 large leaves of kale, finely chopped or blended
1 pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
For the cheese sauce
2 tsp butter
1 Tbspn gf flour
1 cup cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
- Feed the sourdough starter in the morning with 50g brown rice flour and 50 ml of water. Leave at room temperature for the day
- Mix all ingredients and leave the dough covered, on the counter for an hour then into the fridge for the night.
- The next morning add 1 tsp psyllium husk and enough white rice flour, that the dough rolls into a ball
- Roll the dough out using your hands and shape on parchment paper to fit on a pizza stone or tray
- Let rise for two hours in a warm place
6. While the dough is rising, make the garlic cheese sauce.
7. Melt the 2 teaspoons of butter and add the crushed garlic. Sauté lightly, stir in the flour and add the milk, stirring continuously until it has thickened
8. Stir in 1 cup grated cheese and add the salt and pepper. Add more liquid if the sauce becomes too thick, but do not make it too thin by adding too much liquid. It has to spread on the pizza top like a sauce.
9. Add sliced tomatoes and bake at 450°F for 20 minutes. Then at 400°F for 10 minutes
Watch for any burning towards the end
Top with arugula or any other toppings you prefer.